DC New Driver Training Program
I Drive Smart teaches, in selected private schools in the District, the mandated Maryland and Virginia State Driver Education Certification course for new drivers. Although the District of Columbia does not have a driver education course requirement, many DC residents elect to take this training as an effective way to learn the rules of the road. The course includes thirty (30) hours in-class (10 three-hour sessions) and six (6) hours behind-the-wheel training. If you choose to purchase a Virginia package, the in-car training consists of seven 100-minute sessions (50 minutes driving and 50 minutes observing another student driving).
- Classroom sessions cover:
- Novice driver responsibilities and the Graduated Licensing System
- Introducing operator and vehicle control tasks in a controlled environment
- Space management system
- Basic maneuvering
- Risk reducing strategies for high speed, multi-lane expressways
- Personal factors influencing operator performance (drugs and alcohol)
- Environmental conditions that affect safe vehicle operation
- Vehicle functions and malfunctions and collision reporting
- Behind-the-Wheel Training:
- Six hours of behind-the-wheel training
- Three two-hour sessions
- One-on-one instruction for personalized attention
To register for a Driver Education Class:
- Create a User Account. This will allow you to access our services and register for a class. Be sure to sign-in each time you visit our site!
- View our Current Schedules to select the class time and location.
- Schedule your Behind-the-Wheel Training Sessions.
You may begin scheduling once you have completed the first in-class session and you have entered a valid State Learner's Permit into your account.
You will be able to select from several convenient behind-the-wheel locations. Login to your I Drive Smart account by entering your username and password which was created by you when registering for your class. You will notice three unreserved behind-the-wheel sessions on your account. To begin scheduling please click on "select."
Be sure to read our Behind-the-Wheel Terms as we enforce a strict cancellation/rescheduling policy.