MD New Driver Training Program
I Drive Smart teaches the Maryland State Driver Education Certification course for new drivers. This required course is mandated by the State of Maryland and provides all required third-party classroom and in-car training to become licensed in the State of Maryland.
- The course runs 30 hours in-class (10 three-hour sessions) and 6 hours behind-the-wheel (3 two-hour sessions).
- Classroom sessions cover:
- Novice driver responsibilities and the Maryland Graduated Licensing System
- Introducing operator and vehicle control tasks in a controlled environment
- Space management system
- Basic maneuvering
- Risk reducing strategies for high speed, multi-lane expressways
- Personal factors influencing operator performance (drugs and alcohol)
- Environmental conditions that affect safe vehicle operation
- Vehicle functions and malfunctions and collision reporting
- Behind-the-Wheel Training:
- 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training
- 3 two-hour sessions
- one-on-one instruction for personalized attention
To register for a Driver Education Class:
- Create a User Account.This will allow you to access our services and register for a class. Be sure to sign-in each time you visit our site!
- View our Current Schedules to select the class time and location.
Schedule your Behind-the-Wheel Training Sessions
You may begin scheduling once you have completed the first in-class session and your student is in possession of a Maryland State Learner's Permit.
You will be able to select from several convenient behind-the-wheel locations. Login to your I Drive Smart account by entering your username and password which was created by you when registering for your class. You will notice three unreserved behind-the-wheel sessions on your account. To begin scheduling please click on "select."
Be sure to read our Behind-the-Wheel Terms
as we enforce a strict cancelation/rescheduling policy.
A learner's permit is required under MVA Regulations as of October 1, 2008 to participate in behind the wheel instruction.