Maryland In-Car Training Policies
This notice applies to both the standard Driver Training Program and any additional driving time that is purchased from I Drive Smart, Inc.
- The scheduling of behind-the-wheel sessions is a critical part of Driver Training. The purchase of an I Drive Smart Driver Education Package includes three (3) two-hour behind-the-wheel training sessions with a certified Instructor. The sessions must be scheduled on separate days and a student may not train behind-the-wheel more than two hours in one day. This is regulated by the MVA. Please do not schedule two behind-the-wheel sessions in one day.
- Important: A student driver may schedule purchased sessions through the I Drive Smart online system. It is recommended that the behind-the-wheel training sessions be stretched out over a reasonable amount of time.
- Once the sessions(s) are scheduled, students may change or cancel up to three (3) calendar days before the scheduled session. The three (3) days are worked out to the hour the session starts (that is, 72-hours before the session start). Once the student is inside the three (3) calendar day window (according to the hour) prior to a scheduled drive time, the session cannot be rescheduled or cancelled. Please be sure that the selected sessions are sessions that will be attended by the student driver.
- Unfortunately sessions that are inside the three-day window cannot be re-scheduled; therefore please be very careful when scheduling your drive time. It is best to schedule each training session one session at a time rather than all three at once. This will help to avoid missed sessions.
- Always bring your valid Learner's Permit to each behind-the-wheel training session.
- Please meet your I Drive Smart Instructor at the yellow I Drive Smart car at the location you have selected. It is important that the student be familiar with the location of the training and where the I Drive Smart training vehicle will be located. Generally, unless otherwise specified, the pick up and drop off site for any school location is in front of the main entrance of the school. See the directions link next to your selected behind the wheel location. It is the student's responsibility to know where the training will take place. Please be sure to print off your behind-the-wheel confirmation page each time you train and bring it with you to present to the Instructor. This will avoid confusion and will help to confirm your training time and location.
- The Instructor is available to meet with a parent or guardian before and after each training session to discuss the performance of the student and to make recommendations. Feel free to discuss with the Instructor the type of training that will take place, any concerns about your new driver, or specific training you would like as a focus for your new driver. Be sure to bring all required materials to each session for Instructor signature.
- In the event that a student misses a scheduled behind-the-wheel session, that student will be required to purchase an additional Replacement behind-the-wheel session to make up for the missed driving appointment.
- Please understand that exceptions cannot be made as behind-the-wheel training involves very careful pre-planning.